Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Apricot Crumble Bars

It's baking season. Well... that's what I think. Isn't fall baking season? I think so. I love to bake. I love to cook. I love to serve other people. Okay I have a total confession. I bake all of these treats and yummy things and I can never eat them. Well I never make them gluten free. Is it weird that I just have a pure happy feeling when I cook/bake and then not eat them? I don't know. Probably. 

Turns out I eat super healthy...despite all the baked goods and deliciousness I bake. I am highly gluten intolerant, so it isn't worth making myself sick to eat something with gluten. If any other readers are gluten free, I'll try sharing my gluten free recipes on the blog more! Most everything I make can be made into a gluten free option. My tummy is not happy with me a lot of times, so I have to eat pretty boring...but I do make some kick butt gluten free pancakes. Carbless Chocolate Pancakes here and Banana Pancakes are here

But....for now....these Apricot Crumble Bars are for my gluten-friendly readers :). Okay. So I made these bars and my dad ate 6 in one night. He says they are his absolute favorite. So if you have a boy you need to impress or just need a sweet treat, make these. They are very buttery, crispy, nutty, with a nice tart tang of the apricot. Lots of textures going on and lots of intense flavors. 



Ingredients:

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 to 12 ounces good apricot jam
2/3 cup good granola without dried fruit
1/4 cup sliced almonds
Confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
Instructions: 

Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on medium speed just until combined. With the mixer on low, add the vanilla.

Sift the flour and salt together and, with the mixer on low, slowly add to the butter mixture, mixing until it almost comes together in a ball. Turn the dough out on a board.

 Lightly pat two-thirds of the dough evenly on the bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan and about 1/4-inch up the sides. Spread with the jam, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Mix the granola into the remaining dough with your hands. Break the dough into small bits and distribute it on top of the jam, covering most of the surface. Sprinkle the almonds on top. Bake the bars for 45 minutes, until lightly browned.

Cool completely and cut into 9 or 12 bars. Sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar.

xo 


1 comment:

Hi sweet reader! Please share a your thoughts, questions, or comments. I love hearing from you! Makes my day!

344924_we love discounts