Monday, November 12, 2012

Hair Tutorial #2: Messy Bun

The Messy Bun

Hi readers! Happy Monday. I have been super duper busy with photo shoots. I've done a shoot everyday for seriously a zillion days... okay so not that many but I've been shooting a ton. Brennan always tells me now, "gotta get shootin honey, gotta get shootin"It's kinda funny. And that was kinda random. And yes, we are pretty weird :) But anyways, long story short, keep checking back to see some of my new fashion work! Some will be up this week. 

Anyways, here is my version of a messy bun. Read below to find out the steps :) 

hair tutorial, messy bun, fun, hairstyle, blonde

1. Gather the majority of your hair and pull to the top of your head. Leave your bangs out from the bun to make it more messy and to frame your face. Take the hair and an elastic and tie on the top of your head... making a mushroom like shape :). Pull the top of the bun up and out a little bit to make your bun fuller. 

2. Take the hair that you kept down around your face and curl them with a magic wand curler. Always curl away from your face. (so your right bangs-twirl clockwise around the barrel/ left bangs-twirl counter-clockwise around the barrel) 

3. Secure the bun on the top of your head while pulling some hair out from the bottom, creating a bump below your bun.

4. Take a few strands, or your whispies (as I like to call them) out from the back of your head and curl those too. 

5-8. All views of the bun. Easy peasy!

*Tips: Your hair is much easier to put into a messy bun when dirty. Squeaky clean hair is not good messy bun material. Also, to add more texture and body, spray some hairspray and mess up your hair before putting it all up into a bun. 

Let me know if you have any questions! I'm here to help! 

xo
Emily




16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh.. I would die to have this kind of hair style just one day in my life. My hair is so stick straight. What is your hair cut like? Give more info on your hair. I love it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl! i am miss stick-straight hair! No curl or anything!
      I usually wait a day to do a messy bun style. When your hair is dirtier, it forms a better bun and adds to the whole messy look a lot better. I spray some hairspray in it too usually, just to add some body and some more texture to the bun. Try that and let me know how that goes! Hope this helps :)

      Delete
    2. Love this look. Have u posted any more how tos. If so would luv 2 check out.:-)

      Delete
  2. Okay, but how do you get the bun to look so balanced. Mine wants to sit hanging down and the elastic shows, with big loops and airspace :p not at all like yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should mess up your hair a little bit more maybe??... a lot of times it is better to have it grungy for this look. Spray some hair spray in it, mess it up, then try it? Let me know if this helps!!

      xo
      Emily

      Delete
  3. What is the length of your hair? I really love your hair in this photo. It's my favorite and i can't seem to have the bun full at all. Maybe because my hair is layered? Guidence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair is layered too but really that doesn't matter as it actually makes it look more casual and messy. If the bun doesn't look as full I'd suggest using the following tips to make it more voluminous (whether in the bun or not):
      1. Though I wouldn't recommend doing it everyday (as it can damage your hair if done too often) try back combing your hair. If you want it to look scruffy throughout, use a metal/plastic comb and comb your hair in the opposite direction. If you don't want it to be messy (lets say, if you're wearing it loose) brush it out with your usual hairbrush afterwards. If you just wany volume at the roots, brush it backwards with a paddle brush.
      2. Dry your hair upside down. Tilt your head and point the hair dryer at your roots, slwly making your way down through your hair. When you reach the bottom, start again. Repeat until your hair is dry.
      3. Sleep with your hair already done up. Take it down in the morning and then brush it out (with or without back combing) before putting it up in the bun. This will make it seem bigger as your hair won't lie flat against your head.
      4. Tie your hair up loosely. If you attempt to make your bun quite tight at the front it will seem more sleek and professional but also less voluminous. Hold hair back loosely before twisting it into the bun and putting in elastics - this way it makes it more poofy.
      5. As a proud wearer of the messy bun (pretty mch everyday, except for when doing excersise) I normally use more than one elastic. Put it up into the bun, then add one or two more elastics to secure it. Bobby pins, clips etc. also hel. This way it doesn't loose volume or fall out for the rest of the day.
      6. If you want your hair loose and super big for a night out/whatever and you don't want to have to go to a stylist, simply put it up into the bun and leave it until you need to get your hair ready. Then take it out (depending on how many elastics you use it could be quite messy) give it a good brush and then fix it however you want. It normally makes my hair more than double in volume!!!!
      I hope that these tips help you get the bun you want

      Delete

Hi sweet reader! Please share a your thoughts, questions, or comments. I love hearing from you! Makes my day!

344924_we love discounts